Monday, September 27, 2010

The Unlikely Friend

Sometimes, the person you don't like the most can become a cherished friend in the most unlikely place. I really did not like Bob Zielinski.

It was the summer of 1995. I was 4 years old without a care in the world, ready to take my first big step into kindergarten.

Hours before my first class I met Bob who introduced himself as my new physical therapist, who would work with me every morning for an hour. Being a little kid and not caring who he was, I ignored him and was more concerned about missing snack time. When 8 am came around the next day, Bob was true to his word and called me out of class. He took me into the Special Ed Department and started showing me different exercises.

At that hour, all I could think about was my bed. I remember thinking to myself why is this guy who I don't even know, putting me through all of this torture? At this point, I was thinking of how I could make this guy's life a living hell.

From then on, the anti-version of myself exploded every morning. I would run away from Bob and make him chase me all over the building thinking; this guy will eventually give up. He would find me in the bathrooms, in the gym, hiding under a desk, and anywhere else I could hide. If the doors of the school weren't locked  I would of hid outside.

No matter how long it took Bob would always find me and take me back into that dreaded room. But I wouldn't stop there. One morning Bob showed me an exercise where I had to stand on one foot to improve my balance. Every time he would show me I would just stand there and watch, refusing to give up my pride. I can still remember him telling me the words "I'm only here to help you." Bob continued to show up each day and I continued my daily routine of being a wise guy.  One morning Bob begged me to at least give it a try.

Seeing how persistent this man was, I eventually decided to give him a shot. I went to that room with a positive attitude and was ready to put in some hard work. Day after day I tried standing on one foot to improve my balance and each day I would only last about 2 seconds before crashing to the ground. The funny thing was, it didn't feel like therapy. While we were exercising Bob and I chatted about our favorite movies, restaurants, and how school was going. It put my mind at ease and allowed me to relax while I was doing my therapy.

One morning in particular changed the course of our relationship forever. I decided to conform and go right to the Special Ed Department. Again, I stood on one foot and would fall over within 2 seconds. I felt like I was never going to get past those 2 measly seconds. But then, Bob told me "I can do anything I set my mind to." That morning I was able to stand on one foot for 30 seconds before falling. We laughed, cheered and were throwing each other high fives. I think at that very moment Bob and I became friends for life.


Our therapy sessions would go by so fast that I was wishing we had more time together. Bob's been with me throughout my entire school career, almost like he was going to school for a second time. I remember seeing Bob so much even the faculty had mistaken him once for my dad.

He's seen me at my worst when I used to walk on my toes, with a hunched back, and a hand that was clenched so tight that i could barely open it. He's seen me through two surgeries and helped to overcome many physical obstacles I've dealt with throughout my life.

Above all, Bob's been the one true friend who in the beginning, I never wanted to see. In fact, I just did the math and realized he's been with me for about a third of my life. Perhaps the next time i go to therapy I'll bring him a cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment