Monday, September 6, 2010

Smiling can be the perfect Medicine

One night when I was at my friend Ciera's birthday party she told me that she never sees me without a smile on my face. In a column titled "Setting everything Straight' my Journalism professor Ed Ackerman stated that "I was the one person who smiled more then he did."  When you have Cerebral Palsy your appearance is everything.

When I use the word appearance I am not talking about a person's physical appearance such as their hair, face, teeth, or what have you. I am talking about a person's mental appearance, such as whether they feel happy or depressed.

According to Dictionary.com a smile is defined as "a pleasant or agreeable appearance, look, or aspect."  Often enough, physical pain dealing with CP can be obtained by a person's psychological attitude.  I am saying this based on personal experience.

Believe it or not even a "CP Optimist" can have a depressing moment in their life.  When I used to wake up depressed I noticed that the pain in my legs and hands would sharply increase and the  tremors in my body would be almost unbearable.  I also noticed that people would look at me differently.

They felt so sorry for me and would often deflect.  And lets be honest with one another, nobody wants to be around someone who is depressed.  However, once I changed my attitude I noticed that my symptoms and my relationships had sharply changed.  My symptoms improved, the pain was bearable, and suddenly people wanted to be around me.

As you all know by now I call myself  "The CP Optimist."  however, being an optimist is not a one person job.  It all has to do with how you treat yourself and who the friends are that you surround yourself with.  That is why I would like to thank all of my friends who read my column old and new. My optimism comes from all of you.  Hopefully when you all get to read these columns it allows you to not make the same mistakes I did in life.

So when you are in that depressed state try to remember this column.  Because most of the time, a simple smile can be the perfect medicine you need.

2 comments:

  1. Nice job on this one. Keep it up. This is all very thoughtful and insightful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matt; Want you to know we read your columns tonight. Very impressive. You have talent! You paint a picture of CP that will make everyone understand more clearly. I know it surprised us , as we know some of what you went thru, but not to the extent that you write about. We are very proud of you & wish you success in all you choose to do. You have 2 more followers of your column. So keep them coming. Welove you, UR Aunt & Uncle (U know who)

    ReplyDelete