Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A True Optimist

As most of you already know I call myself "The CP Optimist."Dictionary.com defines an optimist as "the tendency to see and expect the best in all things." Even though optimism is my nature it does not mean that I never get doses of harsh realities.

You see, to be perfectly honest, I have been disappointed in myself during the past few days. I've had sharp pain in my legs, troubles sleeping, and yes, even depressing tendencies. I felt like I needed to clear my head and possibly take the time to analyze who I really am as a person.

I felt all alone and I felt like such a hypocrite for feeling this way. The more and more I thought about it, the worse and worse I felt. It was like trying to climb an impossible mountain, fearing that I would never reach the top.

I knew deep inside that their was only one person who could help me get there. And today that finally happened. As I was walking through the LCCC campus I passed my journalism teacher Ed Ackerman.

Ed is one of those teachers who really cares about his students. If you need somebody to talk to, you talk to Ed. Mr. Ackerman also rights a column about optimism and being the person who he is, he immediately sensed that something was bothering me.

I told him about everything I mentioned above, and how I wasn't sure how to shake what I was feeling.  Ed smiled and told me "I am not superman. Everyone has a bad day, including a CP Optimist." We told each other we were better people for knowing one another, and shared a quick hug. After I left, I felt refreshed and renewed.  It made me realize that I need all of my friends in my life to help keep my optimism going.

I really feel obligated to thank each and every one of you for having so much faith in my columns. Without you,  this blog would not exist. After all, we are all in this together and together, we make this work. Last but not least, let me thank the man who helped me reach the top of the mountain. The man who is my teacher, my friend, and a true optimst, Ed Ackerman.

No comments:

Post a Comment