Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Man who looked Beyond the Mask

It seems like yesterday. In fact, sometimes I forget this time in my life happened almost 7 years ago.  I was 13 years old, in 7th grade, and attending St. Mary's  school in Avoca, Pa. St. Mary's was one of those small town schools that would be lucky to have 200 kids in the whole building.

It was one of those schools where everybody knew everybody and it was a place where you actually felt like you were home.  In 7th grade I joined the Jr Varsity basketball team. Although my parents supported me in this decision they were also a little concerned that I would get discouraged because I may receive a lack of playing time.

However, I decided to show up to practice with an open mind and if anything, have a good time with my friends. When the day finally came for my first practice I was both nervous and excited. I was nervous because I didn't want the coach to assume I couldn't play just because of my Cerebral Palsy.

When the coach walked in, he had a calm and cool expression on. He looked us all in the eye and said the words "who is ready to have some fun."  It was at this point I realized that this was not an ordinary coach.  He introduced himself as coach Joe Blazosek a man who was willing to teach us the rules of the game and have fun while we were learning them.

Coach B never looked at anyone as if they were inferior and he always made every player feel like they were a true part of the team. I was no different.  When coach looked at me he never saw me as a burden.  He always treated me as one of the guys and pushed me through the pain of my disability.

When my muscles hurt during practice Coach B would push them to limits even I didn't know possible.  When I wanted to give up, Coach B always made me feel like I was more then just a kid with a disability.  He would remind me that I was part of a team who cared for one another and would always be there to help me through good times and bad. During a game it wouldn't matter if we were down by 10 points, or up by 50, he would still put me in the game for at least one full quarter.

You see, to him, basketball wasn't just about winning and losing. It was about building character, having fun, and learning how to care for the person along side of you. This man whom I'm speaking of is one of many people throughout my life who showed me that I have potential beyond the so-called "limits" my CP sets.

One game in particular he proved to me forever that this was the case.  It was the final game of the season and it so happened to be the last game St Mary's School would ever have. When my dad dropped me off at the gym he told me to"do my best and to work hard."  Coach immediately smiled at my dad and told him that "I always do."

Normally right before a big game the team would get pumped by listening to some Rock 107.  As we were jamming out coach called me off to the side and told me that he was going to put me in for the entire game. At first, I was reluctant.  I didn't want to be the reason why we lost the final game as the St. Mary's Mariners.

Coach smiled and told me that winning is not what's important.  What is important is that you go out and give it your all.  I ended up scoring 6 points and getting 2 rebounds that night.  That would also be the night where I would receive the only points I accumulated for the entire season.

I still don't remember if we won or lost but I do remember what's important.  I remember the man who taught me how to hold my head up high, to never give up, and to always strive to reach my fullest potential. Above all, I will always remember the man who looked beyond the mask, Coach Joe Blazosek.

No comments:

Post a Comment